Message to Students from SGA President
I hope you had a great and productive summer. Congratulations on completing internships, classes, study abroad, and all other summer activities that kept you busy. Welcome back to Oglethorpe! We have an exciting year ahead.
As most of you know, President Schall’s time here at Oglethorpe will come to a close on June 30, 2020. We will miss him dearly, as he is a wonderful leader and we are very grateful for his time as Oglethorpe’s president. To prepare for the transition from President Schall to his successor, the university’s Board of Trustees created a Presidential Search Committee, and I am grateful to serve on the committee as your student representative. The committee consists of faculty, staff, and student representatives, along with trustees – all working together with a professional search firm to find the best candidate to lead Oglethorpe into our next, even better era.
The Presidential Search Committee welcomes input from all members of the Oglethorpe community. We will soon have an official online survey for students to fill out at your convenience. I will send an email to alert everyone when the survey opens.
In addition to the online survey, members of the external search firm would like to hear from students in person. On August 29th at 6:00 pm in the Trustee Room, members of the Presidential Search Committee and the professional search firm will attend the Student Town Hall hosted by SGA. The Town Hall will focus on the student’s perspectives and ideas about the Presidential Search and the next steps for Oglethorpe.
This meeting is part of the firm and the committee’s work to clarify the position, along with Oglethorpe’s wants and needs as a campus and will help in identifying candidates for consideration as president.
We encourage all students to come, to engage, to listen, and to get excited about the potential that this opportunity brings. Take some time to think about Oglethorpe, your time here, and its future.
Here are some questions to think about, in addition to any and all questions/concerns you think of:
- If the right person is hired, what will be the fundamental differences at Oglethorpe University one year from now, three years from now, and five years from now? What are the measures of success?
- Are there more subjective or informal measures for determining the success of this individual?
- What programmatic activities need to be preserved? Which ones enhanced? Which ones initiated?
- Based on the objectives identified, what do you think are the qualifications and experiences of an ideal candidate? What is essential and what might be helpful? What are the personal attributes most important for this role?
- Where is this person right now? What are they doing?
- What, in your view, are the primary challenges facing Oglethorpe that a new President will need to address?
We cannot wait to hear all of your thoughts and ideas. Please, do not hesitate to reach out to me, Glenn Kaiser ([email protected]), if you have any questions or concerns. Additionally, once school starts, I will be holding SGA “Office Hours” on Tuesdays from 4-5 in Starbucks. If you would like to stop by and have a more personal conversation, about the Presidential Search or any other concerns, I would love to grab a coffee and chat ☺